The Glengarry News
Glengarry 24-7

Schools open as strike begins

publisher Feb 7, 2017 - 11:08am

As employees picketed its head office in L’Orignal Tuesday morning, Le Conseil scolaire de district catholique de l’Est ontarien said that its schools remain open and buses would continue to roll.

Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)  Local 4155 members began demonstrating after contract talks broke down last week.
Each side was blaming the other for the impasse at the French-language Catholic board which administers 25 elementary and eight secondary schools, with a total enrolment of over 10,000, in Stormont, Dundas, Glengarry and Prescott-Russell.

CUPE 4155 represents supervisors, school administrators, clerks, maintenance workers, library technicians and IT technicians at the CSDCEO.
The CSDCEO is still the only school board in Ontario without a local collective agreement with its education workers. “But now its refusal to reach a deal at the bargaining table has taken its employees – members of CUPE 4155 – to the brink of a strike,” the union stated.
But the board replies that union negotiators chose to leave the bargaining table.

At a session February 1, conciliators proposed new dates for negotiations. These dates were accepted by the CSDCEO, but were rejected by the union, the board says. CUPE subsequently issued a notice of intention to strike.

“During the many negotiating meetings, CSDCEO has always negotiated in good faith and proposed different solutions. We believe it is possible to avoid a labor dispute, since all monetary issues have already been determined by central agreements. The CSDCEO remains willing to negotiate with CUPE and does not want a labor dispute,” insisted board director of education François Turpin.

If the labour dispute continues, all necessary steps will be taken to ensure the safety and welfare of students and staff, the board said.
“We have been extremely patient with our employer, so that we could avoid just such a labour dispute,” said Raymond Giroux, president of CUPE 4155.

“But after 12 bargaining dates and the impasse we reached in negotiations – even working with conciliators – we realized that, unfortunately, the time had come to take job action, up to and including a full strike.”

Impasse at school board

publisher Feb 7, 2017 - 9:52am

The Canadian Union of Public Employees could take job action today (February 7) at schools operated by Le Conseil scolaire de district catholique de l’Est ontarien (CSDCEO). The French-language Catholic system, which includes École Elda Rouleau in Alexandria, is still the only school board in Ontario without a local collective agreement with its education workers. After two years in negotiations with the board, CUPE 4155 has given the required five days’ notice of a strike, which is scheduled to take place beginning Tuesday, February 7. More details as they become available.

youradcouldbehere-600px.png

Tax glitches

publisher Feb 3, 2017 - 9:13am

North Glengarry Township is working on correcting errors that have been detected in its tax bills.

“After a routine internal review, the township has identified discrepancies in the status of some tax accounts. The discrepancies typically relate to the manner in which payments, penalty and interest were applied and reported,” the municipality says in a press release.

“We are assessing the situation and working with our auditors to determine the nature and the scale of the issue,” relates  Treasurer Annie Levac.

The township is also determining the most appropriate way to rectify the mistakes and is communicating with individuals regarding their tax accounts.

Chief Administrative Officer Daniel Gagnon notes that “the township needs to carefully balance privacy laws and its legislated duty to operate as transparently as possible and will continue to update the public and council as needed as the situation unfolds.” The problem was red-flagged when pre-authorized payment accounts for 2017 were being set up, he explains.

When they received their interim tax bills, some ratepayers complained that they were being charged interest on overdue taxes, when in fact they were not in arrears.

“We are digging into it, dealing with this on a case by case basis,” relates Mr. Gagnon.

NNW15-en-728x90-editorial-72ppi.jpg

2 men charged with sexual assault

publisher Jan 27, 2017 - 4:09pm

Two men have been charged with sexually assaulting two boys between 1992 and 1995 in Alexandria. A 56-year-old North Glengarry man faces four counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual interference while a 41-year-old Cornwall man has been charged with two counts of sexual assault and uttering threats.

They were arrested by Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry Ontario Provincial Police officers after investigating reports that several sexual assaults at residences in Alexandria.

Both were released and are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Alexandria March 8.

The names of the accused persons are being withheld in order to protect the identity of the victims.

17-year-old charged for threat at VCI

publisher Jan 25, 2017 - 2:23pm

A 17-year-old male has been charged with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm after the Hawkesbury Ontario Provincial Police detachment's investigation of threats being made at Vankleek Hill Collegiate Institute.

After receiving information shortly after midnight January 25, police ordered a lockdown at the high school.
The school remained closed for approximately one hour this morning while the Hawkesbury OPP, assisted by the East Region Emergency Response Team (ERT) and the OPP Canine Unit, conducted a search of the premises.

The accused has been detained pending a bail hearing today in L'Orignal court.

Lockdown over at VCI

publisher Jan 25, 2017 - 2:11pm

"A safety concern" at Vankleek Hill Collegiate Institute forced a temporary lockdown at the high school this morning. Students have returned to the school after the Ontario Provincial Police requested that buses be redirected to Pleasant Corners Public School.

At 8:35 a.m., police informed administrators with the Upper Canada District School Board that it was safe for staff and students to return to VCI.

Counselling has been made available at the school for staff and students who may require support.

gnews-newspapers-better-728x90-72ppi.png

Scam alert

publisher Jan 23, 2017 - 12:54pm

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police has seen a significant decrease in the amount of losses attributed to the CRA scam, following a large number of arrests conducted by authorities at a number of "call centres" in India. The fraudsters are attempting to re-engage victims who have previously lost money to the CRA scam.

The following is an actual quote from an email sent to a victim: "We are happy to help you with our services. As you have already paid a huge amount of money to various scammers. Based on your background verification and as per your discussion with our senior management personnel Mr. David Carter, we are pleased to pay you CAD 97000 dollars. This is to inform you that the above amount will be given to you in four equal installments on the payment of nominal documentation fees which is 4.9% of CAD 97000$ which is equal to CAD 4753 dollar. This is a one time payment of the documentation charges which shall be collected at your door step by our representative. On receiving the said fees, we shall release your first installment cheque worth CAD 24250 dollars within 48 hours. If you have any queries you can reach us via email or you can call our management personnel whose details are as under. Mr David Carter".

Many victims never report these incidents to the police. If you or a family member has fallen victim to this fraud, please report to your local police service, as well as the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You have two ways to make a report to the CAFC: either by phone at 1-888-495-8501 (9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time) or through their online reporting tool at http://www.antifraudcentre- centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerin…/index-eng.htm

journalismis-democracy728.png